3D Printers, Makers, DIY hacks, solutions and post printing tools

Created by Emil Pop on 13 April, 2018

What I learned when I ruined a perfect print for a small moment of lack of focus.

Layer shift

Due to warping

Due to uneaven temperature in the printed part and support material

Due to using ABS as support material (ABS is prone to warping)

Due to a gust of wind from my window on one end of the pritning bed only, cooling down one end only

Due to my wife opening the window to aerish between prints (ABS stinks)

Due to me not realising she opened the window, and I joyfully started a 74 hours long print,

I consumed a bunch of ABS in supports and some equal black PETG building up 35% of my object, and all now is all junk. (I am an ecologist too, so I will not bin anything, just separate all of them on materials, ABS, PETG, PLA, HIPS, TPU, PoliCarbonate, etc., and next year when, trusting my mistakes, I might nave a few buskets of each material, I am planing to make myself a small filament making line to recuperate them all into new filament to be used).

Will re print next week my lost part, using as support material PLA, not prone to warping so much (but I prefer ABS to support PETG becasue they have a more similar melting point, PLA melts 25 Celsisu degress lower than PETG, causing oversticking, and this is all the point on printing dual nozzle with different material support, ease of separation when done printing, less work, less headache.

Moral of the story,

never trust your wife knowing what you are doing,

never trust yourself having checked all things up,

and most of all; eliminate all possibilites that things go bad apriori.

As you can see when the nozzle got hooked in the ruined warping section the belt slipped on the pulley by over one inch (2.5 cm) and the machine was printing in the air for that width the continuation of the part, and building supports for it accoringly in hte middle of the part.

And to do that I have to modify my printer seriously, tucking it into a temperature controlled chamber (my printers own oven)

In two months we get there.

The sheer force of warping up was of some 3Kg per square mm, that is over 300 Kg per square centimeter (around 200 Kg per square inch I guess, you run the math if you want to) and pulled up the sticked layer from the bed, which me, manually cannot do, I have to take it step by step or I wreck the aluminuim beneath.

It also ruined my nozzle socks, they were sheared like nothing by the force, I had to bin them.

One sock fell of, the otehr was hanging up there broken